Saturday, August 21, 2010

Too much challenge or is it worth it?

Its one of those fight or flight moments where i have this overwhelming craving for the former but usually end up in the latter.

Sometime i think i challenge myself too much. I read those silly quotes on courage and read inspirational biographies about reaching beyond the stars and commit to things where i have to step out of my comfort zones.  Then moments before i always freak out, wondering if it will all fail in a miserable heap.  I felt like this moments before i jumped out of a plane, at 2AM while hiking up the himalayas at 4000 feet when i could barely breath, that time i agreed to build an ammonia plant for a nickel mine because i wasn't feeling sufficiently challenged with what i was doing and that other time when i agreed to take the lead for a 20 million dollar pitch.  I could go on forever.

The thing is everything has always worked out. And even when they hadn't i learnt a massive lesson and was given nothing but kudos as what i did achieve was still beyond sitting around doing nothing.

So deep down i know i won't fail. I know that as soon as i start speaking in front of those 70 people at the conference that i'll be in my element and the words will just flow out. I know that i've had sufficient experience to be the expert i claim to be. That my self doubt and imposter syndrome is just that and nothing real.  I know i've prepared and i know it just a little bit more to go.

I know deep down that once i've done it i will feel exhilirated, that i've achieved another milestone, that its another notch on my belt.   Even more importantly i will say to myself to do this again another time - not only to speak at another conference but to always keep stepping out of that comfort zone.

Thats why i signed up i guess.

It will work out.

You'll find out next week. Wish me luck.

No comments: