Sunday, May 09, 2010

Third Culture Kids

I read an article today on third culture kids and it so resonated with me.

My parents moved countries at a young age and i had a number of changes through life. Changing cities as a kid to moving schools as my parents figured out the world.

And if it wasn't for that i wouldn't be who i am today - that girl who breezes through the world from airports to five star hotels to airport lounges with such ease. Another day another country all with a smile on her face. Everyday is an adventure and thats what i crave.

Some people say that the glimmer of business travel soon dies away into a beer belly, lonely hotel rooms and not enough sleep. Somehow after more than five years in the game i'm energetic as ever if not more, fitter than you 9-5 desk jockey with an expanse of time for the gym they never find the motivation to attend and happy and healthy.

Other parts resounded true with the article - being a mature kid and growing up late in the twenties. That fear or attachment or detachment and that feeling of not belonging anywhere and feeing like you could belong everywhere.

I crave to meet my match one day, to meet a man but perhaps not settle down in the ordinary way. I want to be a global wanderer with my man, and kids -- i dont know if they fit at all. I don't know if i want them to.

I think to what my parents have with me, the way i will look after them as they start getting older ad looking that little bit frail and needing help -- will i be all alone in the world if i do not pass on that little bit of myself. Is that the right reason if i have no others for wanting to bring a kid into the world.

There is no wonder about them, no maternal instinct that wants to nurture and watch them grow. I'm 28 and i don't look at happy families and wish it for me.

Every article like this gets me one step closer to knowing myself a bit more and understanding my world. May what i need in a man is someone just like me, a global nomad.

No comments: